Friday, November 3, 2017

Mary-Ellen Latino in 'Textile Posters' Exhibit


From ACN Member Mary-Ellen Latino...


'Wanderlust' by Mary-Ellen Latino
'Endurance' by Mary-Ellen Latino


4:18 PM (18 hours ago)
I’m exhibiting 2 pieces, “Travel Muse: Wanderlust” and “Travel Muse: Endurance” in SAQA’s upcoming “Textile Posters Exhibit" at the International Quilt Festival in Houston, Texas 11/2-11/5/17 and International Quilt Festival in Chicago, Illinois in 2018. There is an audio program for this exhibit that reveals each artist’s statement as the viewer takes in the piece. 

"SAQA’s Textile Posters brings together the familiarity of quilts with the equally familiar vernacular of posters to create a visually exciting, informative, and emotional exhibition. Selected pieces reflect the wide diversity of posters. What all have in common is an emblematic economy of text and imagery.

Posters are meant to convey a message in the blink of an eye, be it to inform, educate, or persuade. It is that particular aesthetic consideration which characterizes these textile artworks.
Some posters grab the viewer’s attention in an attempt to be heard above the incessant demands of other media. Other posters are more subtle in their approach, forcing the viewer to study the components in detail, intending to open a reflective dialogue.”

Juror: Joseph Lupo

Born in Chicago, Joseph Lupo received a BFA from Bradley University and an MFA from the University of Georgia. In 2004 he joined the faculty of West Virginia University, where he serves as Printmaking Program Coordinator and Graduate Studies Coordinator.
 
The following are excerpts from my artist statements:

Wanderlust
Travel intoxicates my senses and fuels my soul. I can never travel enough.  I muse over what art I might create once I return home.  The world is my oyster and there are still so many wondrous
experiences to fill me up until my cup runneth over. “I have miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep”. (Robert Frost)

Endurance
Trees are a metaphor for life: endurance, strength, survival, solidarity, propagation, hardship, and change. Majestic sequoia trees inspire me as miracles of nature with the ability to endure fires, floods, and windstorms while they reach for the sky as the tallest living things on earth!









No comments: