Friday, February 3, 2012

One of the things that I love about creating ArtCloth is the planning and scheming, followed by experimenting and testing, leading to the creation of my work.
Each time I handle the cloth, adding layers of art techniques, I experience a new excitement. Occasionally I learn what not to do, but more often I learn a new trick and see things in a new way.
Experimenting and playing with imagery to create tools to use to add various textures to my backgrounds is an important part of my process. Like many artists I manipulate photos in Photoshop or with a photocopier to create imagery to print on my cloth.
I also love to play with paint and ink on watercolor paper to find interesting surfaces to use for my textures. I learned this trick while studying with Jane Dunnewold for two and a half years in her ArtCloth Mastery Program. By applying white acrylic paint to watercolor paper and then using India ink washes over the dried paint I can create patterns or designs to manipulate further by enlarging, cropping, and enlarging again. Then I take this fabulous imagery and make thermofax or silk screens and use them to print my backgrounds.
Below are some examples of the process:

 
 White acrylic paint on watercolor paper, dried; India ink wash over it;
sat for 5 minutes, then was quickly rinsed.
 
The image was then scanned into Photoshop and inverted.
  
Afterwards I enlarged and cropped the image and then turned it into a thermofax screen.


In my next post I will share some ArtCloth created using screens inspired by this process.
Until then, I think I hear a tube of white acrylic paint and India ink calling me!

Off to the studio! Cheers!
Jeanne



 
   










2 comments:

Lisa K said...

Great design, Jeanne! I love to play with hand painted images on the computer, too. It's amazing how an image can be transformed by cropping and manipulating. Hmmm, I wonder if I can fit some play into my schedule today?!

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

This is exciting... can't wait to learn more. Thanks for posting.

Dianne