Sunday, February 28, 2021

A Big Finish for Little Stitches - Mary Ann Nailos

Like many of you, I started the new year cleaning and organizing my studio. In the process I found things that have been overlooked or forgotten. On one shelf, collecting dust, I found 7 ceramic raku picture frames that I made 5-6 years ago. 


The frames are small - about 5 1/2 " square with an opening only 2 1/2 " square. What to put in an opening so small? I had the perfect answer - stitch meditations. 

I was inspired to make these little compositions after watching a video by textile artist Liz Kettle. Each piece is a 4" x 4" composition backed with flannel. Making these little pieces was a way of warming up, got me into the studio and working on larger pieces. 


In order to make the pieces stiffer for mounting to the frames I used a sandwich of the stitch meditation, Pellon Peltex 72F double sided fusible ultra firm stabilizer and a piece of black Kona cotton for the backing. The piece was then cut down to 3 1/4". I went around the outside edges with black paint.


Finally I put a bead of glue around the inside edge of the opening and attached the completed piece to the back of the frame and added picture hanging wire. 


Voila! A big finish for a small piece!



 I am very pleased to have made use of these frames and small compositions. Here are a couple other pieces in black and blue frames. I can see these hanging as a grouping.







4 comments:

Mary Vaneecke said...

Love the contrast of your ceramics and fiber art, Mary. They are great together!

rmarzlin said...

Oh, these are lovely little gems!

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

These look great together. Thank you for sharing.
Dianne

Deborah Weir said...

Very cool and unique!