Saturday, June 18, 2022

I Take A Fractal Journey by Mary Tyler

A fascination with color and pattern has always been at the center of my work as a fiber artist.Through the stages of growth from weaver, to hot wax batik methods, constructing Artist’s books, making kaleidoscope patterned quilts to my current focus on altered fractal images, the continuous theme has been color and pattern.


Fractals are found everywhere in nature, fern fronds, lightning strikes, the coastline of England. Fractals are geometric formulae that are used to define and measure repeating but irregular shapes. In other words, fractured geometry. I select fractal images from a computer program, render them into a useable form, then alter them using an imaging program. Then the finished image is sent to a digital printing company that returns it to me as printed cloth. I topstitch it and finish the piece. Even though each image starts off as a mathematical formula, it ends up as a personal statement about the world. Color and pattern are still the center of my work.


Fractal 1:


Bird 1:


Fractal 2:


Untitled:


Fractal 3:


Growth:


Mary Tyler
June, 2022






















No comments: