Saturday, October 1, 2022

Angry Birds Haiku by Mary Ann Nailos

 

I was playing around with idioms we use every day and thought about the expression “Killing Two Birds with One Stone.” What would a bird think about this? This inspired me to write the following haiku “Know the Expression – Killing Two Birds With One Stone? Birds are Not Big Fans. This is the  basis of the quilt Angry Birds Haiku.


The inspiration for the piece was both the poem and the fabric with the feathers printed with thickened dyes.


 I needed some squawking birds so searched for images of crows and seagulls. I used a flour paste resist for the birds so they now look like a cross between seagulls and grackles.

Lots of hand stitching on the birds, feather fabric and the text.

The final design element is machine quilting. They looked pretty ticked off, don’t you think? Can’t say that I blame them!



1 comment:

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

I really enjoyed this article and the accompanying piece on this dreary post Ian rain soaked morning in Philadelphia. Thanks Mary Ann. The birds are very expressive and I love the cadmium red orange negative space.