Friday, January 20, 2023

 

 

Create Naturally:  Go Outside and Rediscover Nature with 15 Artists

This blog post will tell a bit about how an interview and my work became part of the recently published book Create Naturally: Go Outside and Rediscover Nature with 15 Artists. It includes interviews and work by a variety of artists including, Alice Fox,  Meredith Woolnough, Kaffe Fassett,  Judith Content and others. The book is available through Schiffer, on Amazon and in bookstores.


Three years ago I created a series Observations: Walking in Wonder that consisted of hand stitched interpretations of the 37 conservation areas in Mchenry County IL. It was exhibited as part of the 50th anniversary of the founding of the conservation district. After the exhibit was over, I wrote to several galleries, organizations and magazines looking for opportunities to continue to show the series.  One of the people I wrote to was Marcia Young who at the time was the Editor in Chief of Fiber Art Now magazine. I heard back that she would like to include my work in a new book she was planning that would feature 12-15 artists in depth and explore their work based on nature. I, of course, said I would love to be included. 

A few months later during the height of Covid we did a lengthy phone interview in which she asked me many questions about the development of my work and what influenced me.  We did a subsequent interview a couple of months later.  Based on the interviews Marcia then asked for imagery and specifics about the artwork.

A few months after that she sent me a first draft of my interview to review as to specifics, tone and her interpretation of what I had told her. And a few months after that I got to review the second draft.

After that there was a long period in which the book was in production and then in the fall of 2022 I was contacted again about possible reviewers, possible organizations to send copies to, and specific people I would like to have get information about the book.

And then, at last, I received a copy of the book in the mail! I am happy with the results; with the way the process went and about being included with a number of artists whose work I greatly admire.


One of the learnings from this experience was how far afield your original proposal and exhibit can take you.  When I sent out the information about Observations: Walking in Wonder I did not know how far afield and in how many ways it would lead to other opportunities.  This book, a solo exhibit opportunity this coming year, a catalog, a commission and contacts with galleries for potential exhibits like our upcoming Unfolding show at Bloomingdale Art Museum!

No comments: