Saturday, February 11, 2023

Gifts from the Boneyard Show by Barbara James

 Hunting Island is a 5000-acre semi-tropical barrier island off the southern tip of South Carolina. The unique beauty of the landscape has seen its share of violent weather and coastal erosion. High tides breach the dense shoreline. The result being that fifteen feet of forest is lost each year. 

This drama can be best seen on a small stretch of beach on the south side of the island called THE BONEYARD. I have witnessed the making of the boneyard since we moved to the area 15 years ago and in the last year and a half have been documenting its tragedy and beauty in my work. 

In March I will be the featured artist in a show highlighting the Boneyard. The exhibit will take place all of March at the Port Royal Sound Maritime Center, 310 Okatie Highway in Okatie, SC. If you are staying on Hilton Head during this time, seeing the show will give you your fiber fix. Here are some images of my fiber and mixed media work from the show.






For more images of my work please see my website at www.barbarajamesart.com





2 comments:

kathleenc said...

Wow these are stunning Barbara. I wish I could see the work but I'm not going to be in South Carolina any time soon. Good luck at your show.

Sara Miller said...

Beautiful work Barbara!!! Wish I was closer so I could see it in person.