Saturday, March 4, 2023

A Photographer Explores Collage in Art Cloth by Kathleen Cunningham

I think like a photographer. I look at my surroundings and then I frame what I see. I've extended this idea to art cloth and have some interesting results. Now I'm looking at giving the images a twist by creating collages in cloth, but collage is a very big idea.

I started to exploring collage techniques by simple, instinctive assembly of objects, photos and fabric to see what fits together by color, shape, scale, and texture. What stories can I tell? 

    Patterns scaled and covered in net.            Hydrangea with abstract trim.
 
Trees with added stitching.                                Collaboration with a Painter, in process.
 
The Collaboration with a Painter is inspired by various collage artists I've been seeing on YouTube and by my experience with the 12 Cycles project. I enjoyed the energy of the collaboration and want to see if these kinds of projects can help with developing the stories I would like to tell. We'll see where that goes.



1 comment:

Mary Vaneecke said...

The colors and compositions of your collages is so interesting. Thanks for sharing your process, Kathleen.