Saturday, August 1, 2026

Trip to Ghost Ranch, New Mexico by Connie Tiegel, part 1

I was fortunate to get space in a class taught by Gasali Adeyemo on Yoruba designs and Indigo dyes.  Gasali is a Nigerian born artist raised in Nigeria in a family of artists. Now living in Santa Fe and raising his family, he travels to teach Nigerian craft in the Yoruba methods. 


For five days we learned how to make cassava paste for resist dyeing with stencils, used chicken feather, pine straw and a twig palette knife to create imagery, and raffia to tie different tie dye designs. Many of the manipulations I already knew but to have them connected to Nigerian culture and beliefs was intriguing.  

Gasali had many of his wonderful designs made into beautiful dresses shirts and pants with the distinctive Yoruba look. I happily bought a dress with ocean waves design.





 

No comments: