Last week a friend and I took our drive over to Grand Rapids, MI for 2 days to see the Chihuly Exhibit.
On Day 1 we went through the beautiful gardens to see the pieces installed along the way. Many of these I had seen before in different locations. This time they were mostly displayed in the Japanese Garden which was quite large and quite well done. Many of the installations were in or near the water features and the lake. The next morning we went to the in door exhibit which was spectacular. There were many separate groupings of his work, with great documentation and displayed and lit beautifully. I saw some things I had never seen before. The ones I am showing below were based on textile work that he did early in his career. There was a definite textile feeling to them.
Another very interesting group of work was his latest which consists of framed layers (at least 3) of a special kind of glass that looks more like a water color painting then anything else.
He is 85 and still working! He doesn't travel much but he came to Michigan and then went on to Venice to see the 30th anniversary exhibit of Chihuly Over Venice which my first husband and i saw in 1996. It was not planned but serendipitous. It has always held a special place in my heart.









No comments:
Post a Comment